Title VI is a statute provision of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Section 601 states:
"No person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color or national origin be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance." [42 USC. Section 200d]
Related Statutes protect additional classes as required under:
- Age Discrimination Act of 1975 (Age)
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Disability)
- Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1973 (Sex)
- The City is also required to comply with Executive Order 12898, "Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations" (1994) and Executive Order 13166 "Improving Access to Services for Persons with Limited English Proficiency" (2000).
- The City of Lodi additionally prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and religion.