In accordance with applicable law, districts must:
- Be nearly equal in population
- Be drawn in a manner that complies with the federal Voting Rights Act
- Consist of contiguous territory in a compact form
- Respect communities of interest
- Have borders that follow geographical and topographical features
community of interest is a distinctive area that has a definable group of people, unique geography or some other distinguishable feature or characteristic. A professional demographer will assist in drawing and meeting the requirements of the criteria.