February 16, 2023
The City of Lodi is aware that Shakir Kahn was arrested this morning by the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office on the following charges:
- Causing/procuring/allowing false voter registration of self/another person
- Submission of fraudulent registration to the Secretary of State
- Aiding/Abetting the commission of fraud at any election
- Subscription of fictitious names to nomination petitions
- False nomination/declaration of candidacy
- Fraudulently casting votes
- Procuring/assisting/counseling/advising another not qualified to vote.
These charges stem from actions he took while a candidate during the 2020 election.
The City is fully cooperating in the Sheriff’s investigation.
Mayor Mikey Hothi traveled to the San Joaquin County Jail this afternoon and asked Shakir Khan for his resignation from the City Council. Khan signed the resignation effective immediately.
The City has no first-hand information regarding the specific allegations, as this case is being investigated by the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office. You can view the Sheriff’s press conference here https://fb.watch/iKp7K__l8Q
The City takes challenges to electoral integrity seriously and is consulting with legal counsel to determine our next steps. The San Joaquin County Registrar of Voters and the California Secretary of State are responsible for conducting fair, impartial, accurate, secure, and transparent federal, state and local elections.
We would like to thank the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office for their thorough investigation and all of the witnesses that came forward to assist in this investigation.
If you have information regarding these allegations, please contact the SJCSO at (209) 468-4400 (opt. 1).