When the City of Lodi was incorporated in 1906, area water and minimal electricity was provided by Bay Cities Gas, Water and Electric Works, a privately owned company. By 1910, operation of the existing Utility had been transferred to City jurisdiction and the need for new equipment and higher voltage capacity became apparent as residential and industrial demands for electricity escalated.
Looking toward the future with the addition of new substations, upgraded equipment and installation of underground facilities, Lodi Electric Utility continued to provide quality, reliable electric service to meet customers specific needs. In the 1960s, Lodi Electric Utility joined forces with a group of 15 other customer owned utilities under the Northern California Power Agency. This joint effort allows the collective to purchase and supply electricity at minimal cost with savings passed directly on to the consumer.
Today, Lodi Electric Utility continues to meet the City's growing utility needs and has remained a front-runner in providing low cost, reliable service to its customers.