Lost & Found Pets
Losing a member of your pet family is a very stressful and upsetting event. Try to stay focused and organized about what steps you need to take to recover your lost animal.
- If your pet is wearing identification with your phone number, make sure your answering machine is on and working should someone call.
- Contact the Lodi Animal Shelter 209-333-6741 as soon as possible. Our Animal Service Officers pick-up lost pets every day, and they may have already picked up yours. If we do not have your pet, file a lost dog/lost cat report with the Animal Shelter.
- Don't give up hope! Some pets are missing for weeks, sometimes even months, before they are found by their owner/guardians.
Search & Advertise
- Search the neighborhood surrounding your home as your pet may not have traveled very far. Ask neighbors if they have seen an animal matching your pet's description.
- Check the "Found Pet" columns in the local newspapers daily.
- Make "Lost Pet" signs and post them on bulletin boards or on private property in the area. Be sure you get permission from the property owner prior to posting. Signs cannot be posted on public property including street signs, light pole or telephone poles.
- Advertise in local newspapers.
Thank you for temporarily harboring a stray animal. Many animals that get lost are frightened and are likely to run into traffic in their confused state. They need Good Samaritans to help them stay safe until they are reunited with their owners/guardians. Once you find a pet you have several options to choose from.
Bring the Animal to the Shelter
You can bring the animal to the Lodi Animal Shelter at no charge. We will make them available for immediate viewing. The animal will be held for five days in an attempt to find the owner. After five days, the animal will be evaluated for possible adoption.
Contact the Shelter for Pick Up
If you are unable to transport the animal or feel that to do so may endanger your safety you may call the Lodi Animal Shelter during regular business hours to pick up the animal from you.
Shelter the Animal Yourself
You can shelter the animal yourself and try to locate his/her family by doing the following:
- If the animal is wearing an identification tag, contact the owner yourself.
- Report the found animal to the Lodi Animal Shelter.
- Place a "Pet Found" advertisement in the newspapers.
- Look under "Lost Pet" ads and see if there are any matches.