Planning FAQs

Where can I find the City's Zoning Ordinance?

The Zoning Ordinance (Title 17 of the Lodi Municipal Code) can be found on the Municipal Code website. Below are direct links to frequently referenced code sections:

What is my zoning district?

There are multiple ways to find zoning for your property.

  • Use the City’s GIS Mapping tool.
  • Visit the Community Development Department counter during operational hours.
  • Contact Planning by email or by calling (209) 333-6711.

I am planning to add an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) to my property. What are my opportunities?

Senate Bill (SB) 9 

  • Under SB 9 , eligible property owners can potentially develop additional units on their property and/or subdivide their parcel with a ministerial permit. 
  • For two unit urban residential development under SB 9, see LMC Section 17.36.160.
  • For urban lot splits under SB 9, see LMC Chapter 17.55.
  • SB 9 Application Checklist - To Be Completed by Applicant and Attached to 1) Building Permit Application (Two-Unit Construction) and/or 2) Planning Application (Urban Lot Split). (PDF)

Pre-development Review

Have you ever submitted plans only to have the plans disapproved because they didn’t meet local regulations? Pre-development Review can help you avoid serious missteps in the design, planning, and permitting process. There is a fee associated with Pre-development Review. The level of review depends on the type of project proposed. Contact the Planning Division for more information.

What is the Site Plan and Architectural Review Committee (SPARC)?

SPARC is a Planning entitlement required for residential subdivisions, multifamily developments, commercial, and industrial existing building additions and remodels, as well as new construction. Parking lots, landscape areas, and signage can also trigger SPARC. Small and simple projects with minimal aesthetic impact may be exempt. SPARC members are appointed to four-year terms, with authority to assist the commission in reviewing site plans and architectural drawings. SPARC determinations may be appealed to the commission and then to the council.

Home Occupation Permits

If you plan to conduct business out of a residence in the City of Lodi, you must obtain a Home Occupation Permit. A home occupation is a secondary use, not the primary use of the residence. Applications for a Home Occupation Permit can be submitted at the same time as your application for a City Business License . There is a fee associated with the Home Occupation Permit. The application fee is non-refundable.

As part of the application, you will sign a statement that indicates that you have read and understand the Home Occupation Permit regulations . If you have any questions whether you are eligible for a Home Occupation Permit, please visit the Planning Division office or contact Planning staff. 

What is a Use Permit?

A Use Permit (commonly known as a Conditional Use Permit) is an approval that allows a specific use of land, generally subject to specific conditions and/or limitations. A Use Permit is a discretionary approval, meaning that the City decision makers will exercise judgment in determining whether a specific proposal conforms with the codes and policies adopted by the City. Each zoning district lists specific land uses that can be allowed with a Use Permit. These land uses are generally those that are more intensive in nature and may have environmental or neighborhood impacts if not designed appropriately. The Use Permit process generally takes approximately 8 weeks, including a hearing before the Planning Commission. At the conclusion of the public hearing, the Planning Commission will conditionally approve or deny the Use Permit application. Decisions of the Planning Commission can be appealed to the City Council. If approved, the applicant has two years to meet the conditions of approval and implement the use.

My Planning application was deemed “incomplete.” What does that mean?

In 1977, the State of California passed the Permit Streamlining Act (PSA). The California Permit Streamlining Act provides that the City has 30 days for an initial review of an application for development. This is called the "completeness" review. All planning applications go through a "completeness" review - some more than once. At the end of the initial review period, the project planner will deem your application either "Complete" or "Incomplete." If it is deemed "incomplete," the Planner will send you a list of items required to complete your application. These items may include additional details on the plans, survey information, neighbor-consent, fees, etc.

If a written determination of completeness is not made within 30 days after receipt of the application, and the application is for a development permit, the application is automatically deemed complete under the Act. Planners review multiple submissions at a time, each with its own 30-day clock ticking. Each resubmittal begins a new 30-day review period.

When will the agendas for board and commission meetings be available to the public?

  • Meeting agendas are available to the public no later than 72 hours before the scheduled meeting. More information is available on the City Clerk’s Agenda Center page.

Where can I find information on Fair Housing?

Laws enforced by the State of California Civil Rights Department (CRD) protect you from illegal discrimination and harassment in housing. If you think you’ve been a victim of discrimination, please contact CRD: 

  • Toll Free: 800.884.1684
  • TTY: 800.700.2320
  • California Relay Service (711)

CRD has Fact Sheets and Booklets concerning Fair Housing available in multiple languages on their website:  

Visit the City’s Neighborhood Services Division webpage for additional resources.

Where can I report code violations?

Contact the Community Improvement Division or call (209) 333-6823.

I have more questions. Who should I contact?

Contact the Planning Division by phone at (209) 333-6711 or by email.