What’s Cookin’ ?


Eating and Drinking Establishments:

Stormwater Best Management Practices






Do you know what responsibilities the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB) have regarding storm drain water?  The SWRCB is responsible for protecting the quality of water in California and allocating water rights.  The RWQCB staff monitors and enforces laws that protect the quality of water in California.  The federal Clean Water Act requires various industrial facilities, commercial businesses, construction sites and urban areas to control the amount of pollutants entering their storm drain systems.    The County of San Joaquin and the Cities within the County are responsible for managing stormwater within their respective jurisdictions.



…a sewer system and a storm drain system are not the same?


These two systems are completely different.  The water that goes down a sink, tub or toilet in a home or business flows to a wastewater treatment plant where it is treated and filtered.  Water that flows down driveways and streets and into a gutter goes untreated into a storm drain which flows directly to a lake, river or the ocean.  Some people think that this water goes to our local wastewater treatment plant to be cleaned. 


They are mistaken!  

Materials that are spilled, dumped, or poured onto these surfaces can enter the storm drain system and eventually travel to our sloughs, canals, creeks and eventually the Delta without being treated.  Polluted water harms plants and animals and can cause disease.  It causes our beaches to close and can make our fish unsafe to eat.


To keep our water clean, it is very important that all water used in business activities be directed only to drains that lead to the sanitary sewer.



What is Causing Stormwater Pollution?


…there are many types of pollutants which enter storm drains?

Some common contaminants include grease, oil, janitorial and other cleaning agents, organic material (leaves and lawn trimmings), fertilizers and pesticides.


…the effects of the storm drain pollutants on our water can be harmful?

These pollutants can have harmful effects on drinking water supplies, recreational use, and wildlife.  Some very popular beaches and fishing holes have been closed because of contaminated storm water.


…there are ways you can prevent storm water pollution?

By reading this pamphlet and educating yourself on what causes storm water pollution you are on the right path to preventing it.  Share this knowledge with others.


                        Our streams and rivers

                are being polluted!





What can your business do to keep our water clean?


The County of San Joaquin and the cities within it have adopted stormwater ordinances to protect our water resources.  These ordinances require your eating and drinking establishments to:


1.      Prohibit pollutants from entering the storm drain system

2.      Use Best Management Practices (BMPs)


As a business owner or operator, you are legally responsible to comply with these stormwater ordinances.  Failure to comply with these ordinances could result in citations and fines.





Best Management Practices and Your Business

Best Management Practices, commonly called BMPs, are actions you can take to prevent or reduce pollutants from leaving your eating and drinking establishment.

A key type of BMP is “pollution prevention”.  Pollution prevention methods help to limit the amount of pollutants that are produced, thus eliminating the need to manage or remove them. Pollution prevention BMPs can help your business run more efficiently and can save you money.














Recycling and Pollution Prevention


Conserve water. Eating and drinking establishments in

San Joaquin County use millions of gallons of water each

day for daily activities.


q       Use proper storage and “first-in, first-out”

for food materials.


q       Post water conservation signs around faucets.


q       Purchase recycled products or products with a

high-recycled material content.


q       Contact your local solid waste hauler for recycling

options and bins.


q       Start a recycling program and make sure recycling

bins are easily accessible to employees.


Paper, cardboard, glass, aluminum, tin, and

#1 and #2 plastics can easily be recycled.




















If your business generates small amounts of hazardous waste (HW), you may have a problem.  It is expensive and difficult to dispose of these chemicals, such as paint, motor oil, solvents, and acids.  Legally, they don’t belong in the trash, in the storm drain or down the sewer system; they are hazardous waste and they must be specially managed and documented.  


Most businesses that generate less than 27 gallons or 220 lbs per month of HW are known as “Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators” or CESQG.  The most common businesses in this group are painters, printers, artists, builders, labs, property managers, vehicle repair shops, vehicle body shops, garden contractors, restaurants, and pest control companies.  It is your responsibility to know your local, state, and federal regulations regarding the storage, disposal, and transportation of HW.


In August 2003, a permanent Household Hazardous Waste Consolidation Facility (PHHWCF) was built by San Joaquin County for its businesses and residents.  The facility is open Thursday through Saturday each week from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.  By appointment only, this program offers businesses an affordable alternative for HW disposal.  Prior registration is required.  Fees for the drop-off program depend on the type and amount of HW.  In San Joaquin County, you may call for an appointment at 1-877-747-9699.  Schedules are made on a first come first serve basis.  You will be asked about the types and amounts of waste generated to determine if you qualify for the program.  If you are a CESQG, then an appointment will be scheduled for you.















The PHHWCF is located at 7850 South R. A. Bridgeford Street, Stockton, California 95206.  You may also contact the Household Hazardous Waste Program – San Joaquin County Department of Public Works – Solid Waste Division at (209) 468-3066.




LATHROP – (209) 858-2860, EXT. 328

LODI – (209) 368-5735

MANTECA – (209) 239-2839

RIPON – (209) 599-2108

SAN JOAQUIN COUNTY - (209) 468-2179 OR (209) 468-3073 

STOCKTON – (209) 937-8791

TRACY – (209) 831-4420

























 To report illegal dumping into storm drains call:


LATHROP – (209) 858-2860, Ext. 328       

After hours or Weekends – (209) 992-0028

LODI – (209) 368-5735

MANTECA – (209) 239-8460                       

After hours or Weekends – (209) 239-8410

RIPON – (209) 599-2108                          

After hours or Weekends – (209) 599-2102

SAN JOAQUIN COUNTY - (209) 468-3055

After hours or Weekends - (209) 468-4401

STOCKTON – (209) 937-8791                      

After hours or Weekends – (209) 937-8341

TRACY – (209) 831-4420                           

After hours and Weekends – (209) 835-4550


The County of San Joaquin and the Cities of Lathrop, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy gratefully acknowledges the City and County of Santa Barbara for the original format.