What do we supply our officers with?
Officers receive a full equipment issue, including:
- First year uniform allowance ($950) paid in full at appointment
Patrol vehicles are equipped with:
- First quality emergency warning and radio systems
- AR-15 rifles
- Mobile PC’s with touch screen commands
What about automation?
We are now operating an NT network system, with PC’s at every workstation. Our patrol units are equipped with mobile PC’s that perform all of the traditional MDT functions, and automated report writing which is transmitted over a wireless system. Our patrol units are truly a "mobile office."
What’s the story on training?
Our 4-10 shift plan offers a great opportunity to schedule regular in-service training to all of our personnel, which we do 6 times a year. In addition, we send personnel to a variety of POST schools all over the state. It is our belief that constant exposure to the latest law enforcement techniques benefits our Officers, our Department and our Community.
I’d start on patrol, right? What’s it like?
Our patrol officers are some of the best trained, equipped, and supported anywhere. They enjoy an officer-to-citizen ratio that’s higher than most departments. This allows them to focus on Community Oriented Policing and problem solving. We don’t have a separate COP unit- its simply a basic part of every officer’s every day work. Our crime rate is low, and it stays that way in part because our officers have the time to be proactive. We also have a wide variety of special units that support our District officers.
Tell me about Special Assignments
Lodi PD offers a wide variety of Special Assignments, including:
For Dispatch/Jailer recruiting information, contact Dispatcher Maria Butterfield.
- Traffic: Four full time along with a well developed MAIT (Major accident investigation team).
- SWAT: A fourteen member team, fully equipped, and with a major emphasis on training.
- K-9: Our four member team also trains and competes on a regular basis.
- SRO: We currently have an officer full time in each of our two high schools, with two additional handling the middle schools.
- SIU: Our five member Special Investigations Unit handles narcotics and vice, along with a variety of specialized enforcement efforts.
- GIU: Our five member team specializes in CASA crimes, financial crimes and other general investigative matters.
- Bicycles: We currently have one full time bicycle officer, riding top of the line equipment, that patrols our thriving downtown area.
- FTO: Our FTO’s are Corporals, a promotional rank, who work patrol and administrative assignments. They function as field supervisors on an as-needed basis. This is a great career path for future advancement!
- Dispatcher/Jailer: We currently have 16 Dispatcher/Jailers working 12 hours shifts. Special assignments can include: Field Evidence Technician, Critical Incident Negations, Court Liaison, and Communication Training Officer.
- Records: Our records department currently staffs 1 records supervisor and 4 full time records clerks
*Most of our special assignments receive 4.5 % stackable incentive pay.
What’s the City like?
Lodi is a great place to live and work. It’s a thriving city with a full range of amenities. Situated in the heart of our expanding wine country, we are surrounded by vineyards and farmland. We enjoy affordable housing, excellent schools, a low crime rate, and a friendly town. Our downtown revitalization has created a visiting and enjoyment center that is the envy of many cities our size. We are also centrally located between Lake Tahoe, Sacramento, the Bay Area, and Yosemite. There is lot more to learn by visiting the Lodi Conference and Visitors Bureau at www.visitlodi.com.
What about my spouse, are there career opportunities available in the area?
We recognize that relocating often involves more than one occupation. Lodi is a vital community offering a variety of jobs. For those in the medical field, Adventist Health is currently recruiting for nurses and other professionals. Educators can seek employment with the Lodi Unified School DistrictOther major employers include Pacific Coast Producers and Constellation Wines.
If you like what you see, we’d like to hear from you. Contact our Recruiting Services for more information.