Make robbery risky!
Robbery is a crime “against the person” and a frightening experience. It can result in injury or even death to the victim. In protecting your business from robbery, it is important to remember to take preventative measures and make it obvious that those measures have been taken.
How to discourage robbery:
- Avoid working alone. If you must, turn on a hidden radio or TV so robbers will think someone is with you.
- Vary the schedule and route for your bank deposits each day. Keep only necessary cash in the drawer. Then, if you are robbed, you’ll reduce your losses.
- Make sure your cash register is clearly visible to passers-by. Arrange the counter so that the customer or robber is visible from the street.
- Avoid placing signs or displays near windows that block visibility from the street.
- If your business runs an exceptionally high risk of robbery, you may want to invest in a bulletproof cashiers screen. A screen “defuses” the robbers’ threat, but other prevention measures may be equally effective at lower costs.
- Display signs at entrance and exits indicating that safes require secondary keys not in the possession of employees.
- Advertise your security alarm system with signs in visible locations. Make sure your employees know how to operate the panic button.
- Develop a mutual aid system (Business Alert Network) among your neighboring stores. Agree to keep an eye on each other.
- Report all suspicious activity
- Instruct your employees NEVER REFUSE A ROBBER! Give them the money.