(Back to Crime Prevention page)
Getting the job
Know the employer
Know the due back time.
- Leave the name, address and phone number where you are at with your parents
On the job
Safety check of the house
- Emergency Exits
- Smoke Alarms
- Fire Extinguisher
- Emergency phone numbers posted (Police, Fire and Doctor).
- Know the fire exit plan.
Become familiar with the house
Doors and window locks.
Telephone and house demeanor
- Don't admit that you are alone.
- Explain residents are unavailable.
- Take any messages ( keep paper and pencil handy).
- Don’t open the door to strangers.
Daytime safety rules outside
- Lock doors when outside with children.
- Keep house key with you.
- Use house restroom before leaving the home to avoid public restrooms.
- Don’t talk to strangers.
- If you are followed, go to a house or business and call the police.
- Upon returning home check the house for anything unusual, don’t go in and call the police if you see anything unusual such as: an open or broken window or a strange vehicle in front of the house.
Know the house rules
- Always ask about the rules set for the children you are watching.
- Friends allowed in the house.
- Medicine and any medical conditions of the children.
- Eating times and what foods to avoid if any.
In an emergency
When the job is over
- Give a full report to your employer.
- Call home.
- Be sure you have a ride home.
- If employer is unable to escort you home, ( i.e. intoxicated), call your parents.
- Be sure and talk to your parents about your experiences babysitting.
Click here for printable Babysitting Checklist