April Artist of the Month
Rich Allen has been actively painting for the past fifteen years. He is a retired owner of a medical transcription business. Before that he was an independent computer analyst and project manager. Through his business life he has held a number of marketing and retail management positions.
His interest in art grew when he and his wife were trying to decorate their home on a tight budget. When they visited shops showing prints of works of master artists, he was continually drawn to those of Claude Monet. Not knowing why, he found out who Monet was and what the impressionist approach to painting was all about. Eventually, his growing interest led to a few Community College classes and began his own career as a painter. More recently he has studied with the School of Light and Color in Fair Oaks, California.
Rich has always been active in his home community and is currently an officer in the Lodi Community Art Center. He was the general manager of their Spring Art Annual in 2010 and 2011. Most recently, he has been President of the group. His work reflects his interests in landscapes and seascapes. He works with palette knives in oil. He considers his current style of painting to be neo-impressionist.
Join us for the Art Hop at the Lodi Public Library, on the first Friday of each month, from 6:00 - 8:30 pm.
This free event is an evening of viewing art and talking to artists, while being part of a fun, social event including the sampling of delicious hors d'oeuvres.
Each location displays the work of a local or Northern California artist (or artists) for at least a month.
Be a “hopper” and take part in our Art Hop Raffle! Pick up a “passport”, get it stamped at all the venues, (over a period of months) and win prizes including gifts from participating locations! Ask at Art Hop sites about closing dates and drop-off locations for completed passports. Most venues allow stamping during the month of the exhibit.
For those who cannot attend on Friday, artwork will remain on display in the library for the entire month.
- April 4th, Rich Allen; paintings
- May 2nd, René Reyes; paintings/gouache
- June 6th, Lodi Breakthrough Project; Graphic Arts Poster Contest
Art Hop Venues
Your public library isn't the only participating venue. Make it an evening by visiting each of these Lodi locations, each with different art on display:
- Thomas Theater Gallery at Hutchins Street Square (125 S. Hutchins Street)
- Double Dip Gallery (222 W Pine Street)
- Lodi Community Art Center (3171 Lakewood Mall)
- Bunches of Beads (100 W. Pine Street)
- One Way Winery (25 N. School Street)
- Fields Family Wines ( 20 N School Street)
- McKinleys Frame Shop (11 W. Pine Street)
- The Rusted Mic (14 S. School Street)
- French at Heart (22 S. School Street)
- Viñedos Aurora at Pamplona Tapas (14 W. Oak Street)
- La Fleurette Garden Decor (16 W Oak Street)
- Taste of Heaven (115 S. School Street #15)
- New & Again Consignment Furniture (110 S. School Street)
For more information about the Art Hop, visit the Lodi Community Art Center.