History

Hutchins Street Square building exteriorEarly History

  • 1913 - Lodi Union High School built. Graduated classes 1913 through 1977.
  • 1923 - Auditorium built to seat 1,180 people.
  • 1974 - School burned due to arson.
  • 1979 - Site acquired from the school district for $475,000. Community leaders from the Old Lodi Union High Site Foundation board pledged to build a community center.

Period of Growth

  • 1980 - First corporate donation - $50,000 from General Mills, Inc.
  • 1982 - 3-acre park construction completed.
  • 1984 - Erased total site purchase debt in December 1984, with fundraiser The Last Night in the Girls' Gym.
  • 1986 - Fine Arts Complex construction completed.
  • 1989 - Senior Complex construction completed.
  • 1990 - Senior Complex landscaping and irrigation completed.
  • 1991 - Senior Patio construction completed.
  • 1992 - Trellis replacement.
  • 1993 - Design development of auditorium and site completed.
  • 1994 - Kirst Hall patio construction completed.
  • 1995 - Brick plaza dedicated.

Hutchins Street Square grounds

Further Expansion

  • 1996 - $10 million loan for the Performing Arts and Conference Center secured from the City of Lodi.
  • 1998 - Performing Arts and Conference Center dedicated.
  • 2002 - Rotunda chandelier installed.

Present Day

The facility plays host to a wide variety of:

  • Business conferences
  • City commissions
  • Musical groups
  • Theater events
  • Wedding receptions
  • Youth activities