Role of the City Attorney
The City Attorney is the chief legal officer of the City of Lodi, and is responsible for advising the City Council, City Manager, and City staff on all legal matters pertaining to the City.
The mission of the City Attorney is to contribute to the success of the City by delivering high-quality legal counsel, representation, and effective solution with professional and integrity. The City Attorney’s Office is staffed with a City Attorney, a Deputy City Attorney, and a Legal Secretary.
Providing City Legal Services
The City Attorney’s Office provides all of the City’s legal services, primarily through:
- Advising the City Council and its boards and commissions
- Preparing and reviewing ordinances, resolutions, contracts, and other legal documents
- Prosecuting of violations of the Lodi Municipal Code
- Providing advice to city department staff
- Representing the City in litigation through in-house attorneys or by retaining and managing outside counsel
Legal Assistance for Citizens
The City Attorney’s Office represents the City of Lodi through its elected and appointed officials; it does not represent individual clients and cannot give legal advice to the public. Citizens seeking legal advice or assistance are encouraged to call the following:
- San Joaquin County Bar Association
- San Joaquin County Lawyer Referral Service